Opened in 1839
First established in 1839, St Michael’s is the oldest continuing Lutheran school in Australia. We have delivered over 180 years of quality education to the children of the Adelaide Hills.
The school was founded to support the community of migrants that had fled religious persecution and settled in the Adelaide Hills. The settlers established the school so that their children would be taught the Lutheran faith, their German heritage and receive a high standard of learning. That commitment to community and learning remains today.
The school was closed by an Act of Parliament in 1917 during the First World War and reopened in 1946. Since then, major building programs and refurbishments have been carried out to ensure the highest standard of educational facilities.
Over the decades, St Michael’s has retained its core value of teaching the Christian faith. We provide Christ-centred, quality education to all of the Adelaide Hills community, regardless of faith.